"I like to think that....I am doing what Mr. Cochran wanted us to do, to serve the community." - Ibiere Seck
Ibiere N. Seck is a Partner at The Cochran Firm – California where she manages the injury department and serves as lead trial counsel. Ibiere specializes in complex catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, traumatic brain injury and sexual assault of minors. Ibiere exclusively represents plaintiffs in civil litigation and trial. She prides herself in being a zealous advocate on behalf of people who have been wronged, harmed or injured.
Ibiere has worked on a number of high-profile cases and trials resulting in large verdicts and settlements, including:
- $2.65 million verdict for 15-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her neighbor. The abuser’s employer was found negligent for failing to supervise its employee, making it possible for employee to abuse the young girl in the office space (Whipple v. U.S. Metro, et. al)
- $1.5 million settlement in trip and fall case against the City of Pasadena on behalf of 74-year-old man who tripped on a raised sidewalk in front of his friend’s home. This is one of the largest trip and fall settlements in the state (Williams v. City of Pasadena, et al.)
- $799K settlement for wrongful death – dangerous condition of Arroyo Seco Parkway (Sherman v. State of California)
In addition to efforts with the trial bar to empower plaintiff attorneys to achieve justice, Ibiere is firmly committed to ensuring the legal profession reflects the diversity of the state of California. Through her work as a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Litigation Section Executive Committee and as the Southern California Liaison on Diversity for the Consumer Attorneys of California, Ibiere promotes the advancement of racial, ethnic and gender minorities in law schools, law firms, the judiciary and within state/local bar associations.
Ibiere has been a member of the John M. Langston Bar Association since law school. She currently serves as the Scholarship Committee Co-Chair where she has helped raise and grant over $250,000.00 in awards and scholarships to deserving law students. She has been named a “Rising star” by the Super Lawyers publication in consistently since in 2010 (her second year of practice) and most recently in 2016.
When not fighting for her clients, Ibiere commits a tremendous amount of time and resources to not-for-profit and charitable organizations for which she was recognized by the California plaintiff’s bar association’s first ever “Community Service” award. Ibiere’s current service projects include serving as a board member of the Los Angeles Trial Lawyer’s Charities and Westside Children’s Center. She has also served as an advisory board member for the Mesereau Free Legal Clinic in South Central Los Angeles and the WesternCenter on Law & Poverty where she advocates on behalf of low-income Californians and under-served communities of color.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Stars Up-and-Coming 100, and Rising Stars Up-and-Coming 50 Women
- National Bar Association Nation’s Best Advocates 40 Under 40, 2015
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, 2013, 2014
- CAALA Rising Star, 2013
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP
- American Association of Justice, Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA) Board Member
- CAALA Women in the Law Committee, Co-Chair
- CAALA Education Committee Member
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC) Board Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section Executive Committee Member
- Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Charities, Board Member
- John M. Langston Bar Association of Los Angeles, Chair – Scholarship Committee
- State Bar of California